Sistema Museale di Ateneo

Collegamenti ai contenuti della pagina:
il contenuto della pagina -
il menu di navigazione -
Italiano | Normal characters - Large characters

Contenuto della pagina

Internet site
Collection

Content

Typology: Historical-Scientific
Collection: c. 6000 items

Visit

Free entry

Museum opening hours
Mon: 14.00-17.00
Wed-Fri: 9.00-12.00

Archive opening hours
Mon: 9.00-12.00 | 14.30-16.30
Wed: 9.00-12.00 | 14.30-16.30
Fri: 9.00-11.00

For occasional Saturday opening hours consult the online calendar.

Guided visits and bookings
Tel. 0382 984709, for groups of up to 20

Address & Contact

Museo per la Storia dell'Università
Palazzo Centrale
Strada Nuova 65 27100 Pavia
Tel. + 39 0382 984707
Fax. +39.0382.29724e-mail. mariacarla.garbarino (at) unipv.it

Staff

Museum Director
Prof. Lidia Falomo Bernarduzzi
lidia.falomobernarduzzi (at) unipv.it
Tel. +390382984707-7687

Curator
Carla Garbarino
mariacarla.garbarino (at) unipv.it
Tel. +0390382984707

Conservation & Restoration
Antonella Berzero
antonella.berzero (at) unipv.it
Tel. +390382987695

Administration

Tel. +39.0382.984709

Post doc
Valentina Cani
valentina.cani (at) unipv.it
Tel. +39.0382.984707

Links

 


University History Museum

Officially opened in 1936 the Museum originally housed some of the University’s human anatomy, medical/surgical, and physical science collections. Over the years, its collections have been supplemented by material from various disciplines, telling the story of the University from its foundation in 1361.
Manuscripts and printed documents of literary and legal interest, natural science specimens, scientific instruments and medical preparations all witness the scientific and pedagogical activity of professors of the University of Pavia who made important contributions to their disciplines. The Museum flanks the former Human Anatomy lecture theatre, named after Antonio Scarpa, who, along with Alessandro Volta and Lazzaro Spallanzani, was one of the great scientific and pedagogical rejuvenators of Pavia University in the second half of the XVIII century.
The Museum is divided in two sections, Medicine and Physics, separated by the entrance hall that hosts the portraits of numerous illustrious professor of the University of Pavia together with ancient documents and books. The medical section consists of three rooms: the Scarpa, the Porta and the Golgi (the last dedicate to the Nobel Prize Camillo Golgi – 1906), where documents, mementos, instruments and preparations are on show, primarily concerning the history of Medicine from the XVIII to the XIX century.
The Physics section presents two rooms, the so called “Volta’s Cabinet”in which his numerous inventions and the instruments made for him by others and only used by himself are shown. In particular his inventions are displayed on what was his laboratory bench. The Eighteenth century room collects the inheritance of Volta’s successors to the Physics chair, almost 600 pieces representative of the main disciplines: electrology, optics, pneumatics, thermology, mechanics and geodesy preserved in antique cabinets identical to those in the Volta’s room.

 

 

 

 

 



 

Torna all'inizio